WHY DON'T YOU USE PIERCING GUNS?
Piercing guns cannot be effectively sterilized and do not accommodate for the different thickness of ears and earlobes. Doesn’t matter how much you exercise, you can’t make your ears thinner. We use jewelry at a length selected specifically for you. In this case, the pin is just mightier than the gun.
HOW SOON CAN I CHANGE MY JEWELRY?
The initial jewelry should be left in for the duration of the healing period, but you can change your jewelry as soon as it is healed. For earlobes, this means six to eight weeks; for cartilage, six to twelve months, minimum. If you’re wondering about bone, this means something went wrong.
CAN I GET PIERCED IF I'M PREGNANT, OR BREASTFEEDING?
If you are pregnant you unfortunately cannot be pierced. Your system is under tremendous stress from dramatic changes that leave you and your baby susceptible to increased risks of infection, allergic reaction and/or rejection (to the piercing, not the baby). It is best to wait until you are finished nursing before considering a new tattoo or piercing. If you are breastfeeding we recommend waiting a minimum of 4 months before being pierced. Unsure, or have any other questions? Email us.
WILL YOU PIERCE MY BABY?
As much as we love bambinos, we can’t. We side with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) who recommends waiting until children are old enough to take care of the piercings themselves. Plus their ears are continuously changing and growing so the piercings can become uneven as they grow.
CAN I USE NUMBING CREAM BEFORE MY APPOINTMENT?
Nah. Numbing agents often cause unnecessary swelling. And like booze, we’ll smell it. If you arrive to your piercing appointment slathered with numbing cream, you will be turned away and end up crying because you’ll still have to pay for your missed appointment. Numbing cream won’t work on heartbreak either.
CAN I BRING MY OWN JEWELRY?
Unfortunately, no. We are required by law to maintain records of the manufacturer and metal certification of every piercing. As much as we’d love to vet the legitimacy of your web-certified “surgical steel”, we’re not here to crack a whodunit heist, we’re here to stick implant-grade materials that meet the ASTM or ISO qualifications into you. No doubt, your jewelry guy is legit but the only way we can be absolutely certain of your safety is with equipment we have vetted ourselves.
I’M 16, CAN I GET PIERCED?
Sure thing! Just as soon as your parents sign the consent forms. Rules are rules. It is illegal for us to pierce a minor without parental permission. Save your hastily forged note for ditching Chemistry, you’re gonna have to drag one of your life-givers into the shop with you along with their state or federally issued ID. Two kids standing atop each other in a giant trench coat won’t work here either. You will also need ID! State or federal is preferred but a school ID with the same last name as your guardian will get you a lot further than you forging your parent’s signature. In the meantime, maybe you can get matching piercings or tattoos. What else is family for?
I ONLY SEE EARS AND NOSE PIERCING ON YOUR MENU. How come I can’t GET MY NIPPLES, TONGUE, GENITALS PIERCED. WHAT GIVES?
We are ear stylists, specializing in ear curation. We are alllll about Multiple lobe piercings in unique configurations. Stacking lobe piercings close together or one atop the other is one of our favorite things to do and it’s a clever way to transform your awkwardly placed “Claire's” piercing you got in grade school into a setup that now looks intentional and whimsical.
While we can pierce other body parts, we live for the artistry of looking at your ear anatomy, lifestyle and personal aesthetic to suggest the best piercing placements and jewelry styles that only complement each other and you.
CAN I SEE THE JEWELRY SELECTION PRIOR TO MY APPOINTMENT?
You can see most of our pieces on our online shop here. Unfortunately, to the high turn around of our pieces, we are constantly selling out very quickly. (We’re not bragging) We suggest you email us a picture of your ear along with a few “inspo” photos so we can curate a specific ear design that would fit the physical dimensions of your ear.
CAN I START WITH A RING?
Meh. Kinda. Here are a few things you want to consider with starting with a ring:
- Rings are more likely to get bumped and snagged.
- Physical injuries set back healing and can create some unsightly scarring.
- Initial piercings require jewelry that will allow your body to swell. Barbell posts are just slightly longer – with rings the entire diameter gets bigger. This creates a look that is not as snug as current American fashion prefers.
Send us a picture of your ear and we’ll give you our professional opinion with regards to whether a ring would be a good fit with your ear anatomy and dimension. Even if we are telling you something you don’t want to hear, it will always be based on our professional experience with your best interests in mind. Sometimes it’s best to just leave the rings to your fingers and toes.
TELL ME ABOUT THE HEALING PROCESS…
The first step to healing is to be healthy! Happy, healthy bodies make for happy, healthy piercings. Just like a pet… or a baby! Good personal hygiene and a stress-free life, complemented by a nutritious diet with proper hydration will enable the body to heal faster. The combination of showering daily along with proper saline irrigation will reduce chances of infection and minimize irritation. (By the way, if you need a reminder to shower, maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities.) Keep it simple: eat your veggies and please, keep your filthy hands off. In fact, go wash your hands right now and don’t touch anything gross on your way out.
- Wash your hands thoroughly. USE SOAP!
- Wash your piercing with DR BRONNERS BABY MILD CASTILE SOAP. Rinse well with water.
- Spray the Brio saline spray directly on the piercing to liberally flush the piercing
- You may need to use a q-tip or non-woven gauze to clean away any “crusties” that can collect on the jewelry around the piercing. The use of cotton swabs is sometimes warranted to remove stubborn lymph or debris from jewelry. The bleach and fibers of these products can be damaging to fragile tissue. Dampen with sterile saline and use VERY gently.
- It is not necessary to rinse this product away, however if you do rinse make sure it’s with clean, running water. Don’t “spit shine.”
- If your jewelry is threaded (barbells, etc.) check it to make sure it’s still tight! Remember “righty tighty, lefty loosey.”
- NEVER handle your piercing. Hands are very dirty, no matter how clean they look. The vast majority of infections come from people touching their piercings.
- Avoid chemicals: DO NOT use rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Bactine®, Neosporin®, antiseptics, anti-bacterial soaps or any other chemicals.
- NO ointments, lotions, creams, hair sprays/dye or makeup or glitter on or near the piercing site.
- NO swimming/submerging: avoid lakes, rivers, pools, bathtubs, hot tubs, oceans, creeks, ponds or mud puddles. Waterproof bandages may or may not work sufficiently to prevent contamination. Consider the consequences when deciding whether or not to take the risk.
- DO NOT sleep on a piercing for the entire healing period – especially cartilage! Exra credit points if you put fresh, clean, animal dander and fur-free linens and towels into use.
- NOtanning during healing! Delicate healing tissue can be sensitive to heat, oils, and chemicals used in this environment.
- NEVER rotate jewelry through the piercing.
- NEVER use bar, anti-bacterial, fragranced or deodorant soaps.
- DO NOT remove your jewelry for any reason during the healing process. Healed piercings may not remain fully open if jewelry is removed for even short periods of time. If jewelry DOES come out, please return to a professional studio immediately for assistance! We can usually get it back in even if you can’t.
Actual infections are rare. Often what clients feel is an infection is simply an irritation that can be remedied without medical intervention. Signs of infection include pain, swelling, heat, and discolored discharge.
DO NOT REMOVE YOUR JEWELRY!
Bacteria cause infections, not piercings. Stop by the studio at the first sign of trouble. If we can’t help you we will gladly refer you to a physician.
That said, WE ARE NOT DOCTORS. If you believe you have an infection or other medical issues, please consult your physician ASAP
Please know that we LOVE everything that comes with ear curation – from the designing to the piercing to the maintenance to seeing you return for more! You will be lovingly pierced with intention and care and we can’t wait for you to show off our work.